Sunday 16 August 2015

GBBO Biscuit Week!

This week on The Great British Bake Off it was biscuit week. My favourite week of the whole show! Anyone who knows me well, knows I love biscuits and always have them close to hand, so I was truly in my element for this weeks bake!

The biscuit challenges were.....

Signature Challenge: Biscotti
Technical Challenge: Arlettes
Show Stopper: Biscuit Box with Biscuits

It was SO easy for me to chose what challenge I would attempt - biscotti. I have been wanting to make these for a very long time so Im really glad they popped up on the show.

My biscotti....


Trying to decide what type of biscotti was quite easy. There is no flavour I hate more than almond or pistachios - liquorice is a close second so they were going no where near this challenge. Flicking through my cook books I found a recipe for Praline Biscotti and knew instantly that's the one for me!

The recipe comes from last years cook book released by The GBBO, The Great British Bake Off Big Book of Baking. 

For The Hazelnut
100g Caster Sugar (white rather than golden works best)
100g Unblanched Hazelnuts

For The Biscotti Dough
150g Unsalted Butter
200g Caster Sugar
1 Medium Free-Range Egg Plus 1 Yolk,
1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
375g Plain Flour
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
200g Dark Chocolate

1. Start by making the praline. Put the caster sugar and nuts into a medium heavy-based pan. Set over a low heat and let the sugar melt gently, occasionally shaking the pan and stirring gently with a metal spoon. As soon as the sugar has melted turn up the heat to medium and let the syrup bubble away until it turns a chestnut brown - you can stir gently now and then with the metal spoon so the nuts brown evenly. Tip the mixture onto an oiled baking sheet and spread out evenly with the metal spoon. Leave until completely cold and set.

Watch your sugar and nuts like a hawk! I didn't and came so close to burning them! Instead of using an oiled baking sheet, I used a non stick liner - they're so impressive! Nothing sticks to them!! You can pick them up at your local Lakeland store.

2. Break up the praline into chunks. Put them into a food processor and grind to make coarse crumbs with a few larger lumps (you can also chop up the praline with a large knife or bash it up - in a plastic bag - with a rolling pin). Set aside until needed (you can make the praline a day in advance; keep tightly covered).

I chopped my hazelnuts up with a knife, I find it easier to get the correct size this way rather than using a food processor.



3. Heat your oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Put the soft butter into a large mixing bowl and beat well with a wooden spoon or mixer until very creamy. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl from time to time.

4. In a small bowl, beat the egg and the yolk together with the vanilla, just to mix, then gradually add to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition.

5. Sift the flour and baking powder into the bowl and mix in with a plastic spatula or wooden spoon. As soon as all the flour is incorporated, add the praline and work in until evenly distributed. Put your hands into the bowl and bring the dough together in a bowl.

6. Divide the dough in half Line the clean baking sheet with baking paper. Lift one portion of dough on to one side of the sheet. Lightly dust your hands with flour, then mould and shape the dough into a flat brick shape about 30 x 7.5cm and 1.5cm thick. Repeat with the second portion of dough, setting this block slightly apart from the first (to allow for expansion).

7. Bake in the heated oven for about 30 minutes until light and brown and firm. Remove the sheet from the oven and set it on a heatproof surface; turn the oven down to 150C/300F/gas 2. Leave the biscotti blocks to cool down for 10 minute, then slide them, still on the baking paper, on to a chopping board. With a serrated knife cut the blocks across on a slight diagonal, into slices about 1.5cm thick - it will be easier if you use a gentle sawing motion.

8. Line the baking sheet with a fresh piece of baking paper. Set the slices cut side down on the sheet. Return the biscotti to the oven and bake for 20 minutes until crisp and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and leave until cold. Store in an airtight container for about a week.

As you can see from my picture I dipped my biscotti into dark chocolate - I felt this really lifts the biscuit by giving it another taste. I also dipped the bottom of the biscuit into the chocolate - not one of the ends (like the traditional method)! This way, with every bite you get some chocolate, for which I personally think this balances out the praline. So....

9. Once the biscotti have cooled, melt the dark chocolate in bowl over simmering water until melted. Gently dip the biscotti into the chocolate to cover the base of the biscuit, let any excess chocolate drop back into the bowl and then place on a wire rack to dry.





A bit of sturdy advice coming from Mary Berry herself... read the recipe twice before you start! Its got quite a few stages so I really recommend reading the recipe a few times.

I have never made biscotti before and I have never done sugar work like that before, so Im learning something new every week with this bake along malarkey! I am really impressed with how my biscotti have turned out - the chocolate has a nice shine - the biscuit snaps well, it tastes bloomin' good! I took them into work and were devoured. I must admit they weren't the most uniform in size but I am so pleased with how they turned out!! Biscotti can have such a variety in tastes and flavours which is why they're vastly becoming my favourite biscuit, I can't wait to bake more of these!

Biscuit week - Im giving myself an 8/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment