Friday 19 September 2014

The Classic Swiss Roll

I have NEVER made a swiss roll before and was advised by my colleagues there are 2 ways to make a swiss roll:

1) push them down a hill and
2) follow Mary Berry's recipe!

I used the second method from Mary Berrys Complete Cookbook  to make the very basic and classic, swiss roll with strawberry jam.

I have never even made this type of sponge before and it went wrong from the beginning. I deviated from the recipe. I know, I know I shouldn't have done that!! The recipe stated 4 large eggs. I used 5 small ones... I thought it would be fine as my eggs were so tiny but no, it wasn't. Although, the sponge has risen and it is a good colour however it is slightly over cooked and smells very eggy!

As you can see from the pictures, it looks okay however I have not rolled it tight enough. I had a small slice and didn't really like it due to the eggy taste however my mum said it was okay - but Im pretty sure she is just being polite!


I am now determined to perfect the classic swiss roll, things have definitely been learnt from this attempt so hopefully next time will be better - or at the very least not so eggy!





No comments:

Post a Comment